Duke ophthalmology faculty had a significant presence at the North Carolina Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons (NCSEPS) annual meeting held September 22-24, 2017.
Leon Herndon, MD, NCSEPS board member organized and moderated a fantastic line up of speakers. Four faculty, two vitreoretinal surgery fellows presented. Two Duke Medical School students won awards in the student/resident poster session. The North Carolina Retina Society meeting was held following the NCSEPS annual meeting.
- Melissa Daluvoy, MD, invited speaker presented "State of the Art Femto Cataract Surgery" and "Limbal Stem Cell Transplant"
- Felipe Medeiros, MD, PhD, invited speaker presented "Cataract Management in a Glaucoma Patient" and "Virtual Reality as a Tool to Assess Functional Vision Loss" and "Pearls/Pitfalls in Visual Fields/Imaging"
- Wendy Zhang, MD, Duke vitreoretinal surgery fellow presented sevearl vitreoretinal surgical cases, one of which highlighted the intraoperative use of the NGenuity heads up display system, at NC Retina Club Conference
- Kirin Khan, second year Duke Medical School student received first place and a cash prize in the student/resident poster competition for her poster titled: "CRVO in Younger Patients: presentation, treatments, and outcomes" with coauthors Adam Rothman, Akshay Thomas, and Sharon Fekrat. She also presented a case of circulating lens protein from a dislocated intact native lens masquerading as endophthalmitis at the NC Retina Club Conference
- Stephen Yoon, third year Duke Medical School student received second place and a cash prize in the student/resident poster competition for his poster titled "Assessment of Differences in Retinal Microvasculature using OCT Angiography in Alzheimer's Disease: a twin discordance report" with coauthors Bryce Polascik, Dilraj Grewal, Gregory Hoffmeyer, and Sharon Fekrat. He also presented a mystery case of the radioopaque (but not magnetic) titanium ring in the Boston keratoprosthesis seen on plain films at the NC Retina Club Conference
- Akshay Thomas, MD presented a poster titled, "Use of the Ischemic Index on Widefield Fluorescein Angiography to Characterize a Central Retinal Vein Occlusion as Ischemic or Non-Ischemic" co-authored with Mridul Thomas and Sharon Fekrat.
- Lejla Vajzovic, MD organized and co-chaired a very educational and interactive NC Retina Club Conference that was live streamed to those who were not able to attend! And presented some unique pediatric surgical retina cases to the group!
- Sharon Fekrat,MD presented giant retinal tear and macular hole cases at the NC Retina Club Conference as well as surgical video prepared by Duncan Berry and co-authored with Duncan Berry, Scott Walter, and Xi Chen, demonstrating intraoperative use of the Frag Bag for dislocated native lens material.