Sharon Fekrat, MD
Director, Faculty Mentoring
The Department of Ophthalmology is committed to providing professional development to help faculty and trainees in their career advancement, research programs, and academic pursuits. Here you will find resources for leadership and professional development within the Duke Eye Center and School of Medicine as well as handy resources like the Duke University's Faculty Handbook. There is also a collection of research resources and information about the department's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Dr. Sharon Fekrat serves as the department's faculty mentoring representative. Contact her at email@example.com for more information or any questions regarding faculty development at the Duke Eye Center.
Faculty Development Resources
Leadership and Professional Development
- SoM Leadership Development for Researchers (LEADER)
- SoM Duke Academy for Health Professions Education and Academic Development (Duke AHEAD)
- SoM Office for Faculty Development provides a wide range of faculty development seminars and workshops, available in person or as archived recordings. Examples include:
- Gopen seminar on scientific writing skills
- Write winning grants
- Effective presentation skills
- Data management
- Getting promoted at Duke
- NIH Early Career Reviewer (visit CSR website to apply)
- Association of American Medican Colleges (AAMC) Faculty Development Seminars:
- Early Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar (attendance sponsored by DoM/PWIM)
- Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar (attendance sponsored by DoM/PWIM)
- Minority Faculty Career Development Seminar (attendance sponsored by DoM/MRRC)
- More AAMC Faculty Development Resources
The Faculty Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure Office assists in facilitating best practices in the consideration of faculty appointments, promotions, and tenure for the School of Medicine and School of Nursing.
Ophthalmology Annual Meetings
American Academy of Ophthalmology
American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
American Society of Retina Specialists
Research Resources and Funding
- Duke Office for Research Support provides an extensive database of funding opportunities of interest to the Duke community. The list is searchable by discipline, eligibility, sponsor, etc. The Office of Research Support highlights new funding opportunities each week through its newsletter, which is published on Monday mornings. The newsletter publishes new and recently updated announcements of federal and private funding for research, fellowships, curriculum, and program development. You must subscribe to receive the newsletter.
Subscribe to receive the newsletter: https://researchfunding.duke.edu/
- Department of Ophthalmology Resources for Diversity and Inclusion
- NIH Loan Repayment Program
- School of Medicine New Faculty Orientation
- Duke University Faculty Handbook
- Duke Health Policies and Procedures - Eye Center