Dr. Ondeck is excited to to work with and learn from the excellent Duke faculty, residents, and fellows via her Glaucoma fellowship program at the Duke Eye Center. She hopes to develop novel extended release materials for IOP lowering purposes. Her research interests include material scientific developments for novel IOP lowering medications and polymer chemistry.
Education & training
Postgraduate Degree: University of Cambridge, Churchill College, MPhil in Chemistry
Medical School: Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Internship: North Shore Medical Center, Salem, MA, Preliminary Medicine
Residency: University of California San Diego, Ophthalmology Residency Program
Associated labs, publications, & achievements
- C.L. Ondeck, Linda M Zangwill, Robert N. Weinreb, Alberto, Diniz-Filho, Felipe A. Medeiros: Detection of Glaucoma Progression with the RGC Index in High- versus Low- Risk Eyes; Investiagtive Ophthalmology & Visual Science --- (submitted)
- Kinori, Michael, Gomi, Cintia, C. L Ondeck, Schanzlin, David, Robbins, Shira. Usefulness of Refractive Measurement of Wavefront Autorefraction in Patients with Difficult Retinoscopy; Journal of American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus --- (accepted)
- C.L. Ondeck, McCaulley J, Kinori M, Maloney T, Hull, A, Pretorius, D, Granet, D.B, Robbins, S.L; Prenatal Diagnosis of Fetal Orbital Abnormalities Using Ultrasound; Ophthalmology. (submission pending)
- Studer R K, Vo N, Sowa G, Ondeck C, Kang, J; Human Nucleus Pulposus Cells React to IL-6: Independent Actions and Amplification of Response to IL-1 and TNF-α; Spine; 36 (8): 593-599. April 15, 2011. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181da3
- C. Ondeck; Polymer Supported L-Proline for Organocatalysis; University of Cambridge, Department of Chemistry - MPhil Thesis Dissertation; Jan 2010
- C.L. Ondeck, A.H Habib, P. Ohodnicki, K. Miller, C.A. Sawyer, P. Chaudhary, M.E. McHenry; Theory of Magnetic Fluid Heating with an Alternating Magnetic Field with Temperature Dependent Materials Properties for Self-regulated Heating. Journal of Applied Physics; 105, 07B324 (2009); doi:10.1063/1.3076043
- A.H. Habib, C.L. Ondeck, P. Chaudhary, M.R. Bockstaller, M.E. McHenry; Evaluation of Iron Cobalt/Ferrite Core-Shell Nanoparticles for Cancer Thermotherapy; Journal of Applied Physics, 103, 07A307 (2008) doi:10.1063/1.2830975
- A.C. Evans, J. Skey, M. Wright, W. Qu, C.L. Ondeck, D.A. Longbottom, R.K. O'Reilly; Functional and tunable amino acid polymers prepared by RAFT polymerization; Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry; Volume 47, Issue 24, Pages 6814-6826. 2010 DOI: 10.1021/ma1008447
- A.C. Evans, A. Lu, C. Ondeck, D.A. Longbottom, R.K. O’Reily; Organocatalytic Tunable Amino Acid Polymers Prepared by Controlled Radical Polymerization; Macromolecules; 2010 43 (15), 6374-6380. DOI: 10.1021/ma1008447
- Ondeck, C L; Georgescu, H I; Hendrych, C D; Iucu, C; Studer, R K; Kang, J D; The Effect of Gene Transfer of TIMP-1 on Proteogylcan Synthesis of Nucleus Pulposus Cells; Pittsburgh Tissue Engineering Initiative, July 10, 2006; Page 14
- C.L. Ondeck, Linda M Zangwill, Robert N. Weinreb, Alberto, Diniz-Filho, Felipe A. Medeiros: Detection of Glaucoma Progression with the RGC Index in High- versus Low- Risk Eyes; Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO); Poster Presentation; Seattle, WA, USA. May 2016
- Robbins S., Ondeck C.L; Prenatal Diagnosis of Fetal Orbital Abnormalities using Ultrasound; 3rd World Congress of Pediatric Ophthalmology; Oral Presentation; Barcelona Spain; Sep 2015
- C.L. Ondeck, Nicholas Karamitsios; Aortoenteric Fistula: A Rare and Fatal Cause of GI Bleed; Massachusetts Medical Society Annual Poster Presentation; Poster Presentation; Boston, MA, USA. Dec 2013
- C.L. Ondeck, J Skey, A.C. Evans, D.A. Longbottom, R.K. O’Reilly; Polymer Supported L-Proline for Organocatalysis; European Polymer Federation Conference 2009. Poster Presentation; Graz, Austria. Aug 2009
- Ondeck C.L; Evaluation of Iron Cobalt/Ferrite Core-Shell Nanoparticles for Cancer Thermotherapy; Magnetism & Magnetic Materials 53nd Annual Conference; Poster Presentation; Austin, TX, USA. Nov 2008
- Studer R.K, Ondeck C.L, Gerogescu H, Hendrych C, Iucu C, Kang J D; IL-6 Effects on Nucleus Pulposus Cells: Implications for Treatment of Intervertebral Disc Degeneration. Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) 53rd Annual Meeting, Poster Presentation; San Diego, CA, USA. Feb 2007
- Ondeck C.L; Evaluation of Iron Cobalt/Ferrite Core-Shell Nanoparticles for Cancer Thermotherapy; Magnetism & Magnetic Materials 52nd Annual Conference; Poster Presentation; Tampa, FL, USA. Nov 2007
- Ondeck, C L; Georgescu, H I; Hendrych, C D; Iucu, C; Studer, R K; Kang, J D; The Effect of Gene Transfer of TIMP-1 on Proteogylcan Synthesis of Nucleus Pulposus Cells; Pittsburgh Tissue Engineering Initiative; Poster Presentation; Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Jul 2006
Awards, Scholarships, & Honoraria:
- Awarded by the Winston Churchill Foundation of the United States to thirteen students in the United States who display exceptional academic talent and outstanding achievement, a capacity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the sciences, and outstanding personal qualities. The prestigious scholarship fully covers one year of study at the University of Cambridge where I pursued an MPhil in Chemistry researching nano-polymeric hybrids as drug/gene delivery agents.
Cambridge Overseas Trust Scholar
- Awarded by the Trust under the patronage of His Royal Highness – Charles, the Prince of Wales
Starr E. Shulman MPA Fellow
- Award to one UCSD delegate by California Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons (CAEPS) and UCSD Board of Trustees to attend the AAO Midyear forum.
AAO Advocacy Ambassador
- Awarded to one outstanding UCSD delegate who displays Leadership, Engagement, Advocacy, and Practice management skills to network/interact with leaders in ophthalmology and political policy development in Washington DC - April 2016.
Andrew Carnegie Society Scholar
- Selected by Carnegie Mellon College Deans as the best and brightest students/leaders of tomorrow.
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, National Graduate Fellowship - Slater Fellow
- Endowed fellowship for top senior in the nation whose undergraduate field is in the biological sciences.
Scholars in Medicine Scholarship
- Awarded to select medical student by Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine alumni.
Forum for International Health and Tropical Medicine Scholarship
- Awarded to select medical students for students interested in international health.
Carnegie Mellon Women’s Association Scholar
- Award to the top senior woman at Carnegie Mellon University, Carnegie Institute of Technology.
American Society of Metallurgy International - Outstanding Senior Award
- Awarded to most outstanding college senior.
Other Awards, Scholarships, and Honoraria
- United States Steel Scholarship
- PPG Industries Scholarship
- Pittsburgh Foundation Scholarship
- Stone/Stein Scholarship
- Rosencrans Endowed Scholarship
- Edward B. Speer Scholarship
- National Merit Scholarship
- Pennsylvania Rotary International Scholarship
- Carnegie Institute of Technology Award – 2008 Meeting of the Minds Research Symposium
- Sigma Xi Research Society Award – 2008 Meeting of the Minds Research Symposium
- Carnegie Mellon University President’s List
- Pittsburgh Tribune Review Outstanding Young Citizen - Gold Metal