Education & Training
Undergraduate: University of Toronto, 2011
Medical School: Yale School of Medicine, 2016
Internship: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Residency: Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN, 2020
Surgical innovation (e.g. new surgical techniques/device), patient education, genetics and epidemiology-related research
Associated Labs, Publications, & Achievements
- Xu SC, Swanson A, Wagner LH. Juvenile Xanthogranuloma. American Academy of Ophthalmology, EyeWiki. June 2019. https://eyewiki.org/Juvenile_Xanthogranuloma. Accessed June 14, 2019
- Xu SC, Kardon RH, Leavitt JA, Flanagan EP, Pittock SJ, Chen JJ. Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) is Highly Sensitive in Detecting Prior Optic Neuritis. Neurology. 2019 Feb 2;92:e527-35. PMID: 30674600
- Rinaldo L1 , Xu SC2 , Eggers SD, Salomao DR, Chen JJ, Raghunathan. Rare occurrence of an intraocular choroidal solitary fibrous tumor. Ocular Oncology and Pathology. 2018;4:213-219. Authors 1 and 2 contributed equally to this manuscript. PMID: 30643764
- Xu SC, Chen JJ. Abnormal magnetic resonance imaging findings in a patient with optic disc edema, retinal hemorrhage, and decreased vision. JAMA Ophthalmology. 2017 Oct 12. PMID: 29049430
- Xu SC, Gauthier AC, Liu J. The application of a contact lens sensor in detecting 24-hour intraocular pressure-related patterns. J Ophthalmol. 2016 Jul 25:4727423. PMID: 4976175
- Xu SC, Chow J, Liu J, Li L, Maslin J,Chadha N, Chen B, Teng CC.Risk factors of visual impairment associated with corneal diseases in southern China. Clin Ophthalmol. 2016 May 2;10:777-82. PMID: 27194904
- Ing E, Xu C. Welder’s Flash. Can J Diagnosis. 2015 Oct 12;32(9)
- Xu SC, Canter L, Zeeshan A, Elefteriades J. Deep crater in calcified aortic valve leaflet—a “smoking gun” for embolic stroke. AORTA (Stamford). 2015 Oct 1;3(5):172-176. PMID: 27175368
- Sun X, Xu CS, Chadha N, Chen A, Liu J. Marijuana for Glaucoma: A Recipe for Disaster or Treatment? Yale J Biol Med. 2015 Sep;88(3):265-269. PMID: 26339209
- Xu CS, Chen JS, Adelman RA. Video Game Use in the Treatment of Amblyopia: Weighing the Risks of Addiction. Yale J Biol Med. 2015 Sep;88(3):309-317. PMID: 26339215
- Xu C, Tran-Thanh D, Ma C, May K, Jung J, Vecchiarelli J, Done SJ. Mitochondrial D310 mutations in the early development of breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012 Apr;106(9):1506-1511. PMID: 22472881
- Wang Y, Roche O, Xu C, Moriyama EH, Heir P, Chung J, Roos FC, Chen Y, Finak G, Milosevic M, Wilson BC, Teh BT, Park M, Irwin MS, Ohh M. Hypoxia promotes ligand-independent EGF receptor signaling via hypoxia-inducible factor-mediated upregulation of caveolin-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2012 Mar;109(13):4892-4897. PMID: 22411794. *Comment in Nature Reviews Cancer. 2012 May 1;12(5):320
- Resident Research Award, 10/2019. A national award given by Chinese American Ophthalmology Society based on excellence in research on the use of OCT in optic neuritis.
- Miriam Kathleen Dasey Award, 5/2016. Awarded at medical school graduation to students who by strength of character, personal integrity, and academic achievement give promise of fulfilling the ideal of the compassionate physician.
- Poster Award- 1 st Place, 6/2015. A state-level award given by Connecticut Society of Eye Physicians based on excellence in research and poster presentation on the epidemiology of ocular trauma in southern China.
- Yale Short-Term Research Scholarship, 8/2014-5/2015. Awarded quarterly based on research proposal and progress.
- Yale Alumni Scholarship, 9/2011-5/2015. Award of $54,000 per academic year based on academic excellence and financial needs.
- Yale International Clinical Elective Travel Fellowship, 11/2014. Scholarship based on commitment to global health and interest in completing a clinical elective in a developing country.
- Yale Global Health Case Competition-3 rd Place Team, 11/2012. A university-level award based on presentation of a unique and multidisciplinary approach to solving health issues confronting migrant mining workers in South Africa.
- Gold Award for Academic Excellence and Achievement in Pathology, 6/2012. A national award given to one student per year by the American Association for Clinical Pathology based on academic excellence, research contribution, interest in pathology and leadership experience.
- Poster Award- 2nd Place, 4/2012. A national award given by American Medical Women’s Association for a poster presentation on the role of mitochondrial D310 mutation in breast cancer.
- National Collegiate Taekwondo Championship Bronze medalist, 4/2012. Sparred at the 2012 National Collegiate Taekwondo Championship in Boston, MA (color belt, Feather weight division).
- Gordon Cressy Student Leadership Award, 5/2011. Awarded to the top six students in the graduating class based on leadership and academic excellence at Trinity College, University of Toronto, Canada.
- Poster Award- 2 nd Place, 4/2011. A national award given by the American Association for Cancer