Education & Training
Undergraduate: Harvard College, 2011
Medical School: Harvard Medical School, 2015
Internship: Massachusetts General Hospital, 2016
Residency: Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2019
- Machine learning in ophthalmology
- Systemic diseases
Associated Labs, Publications, & Achievements
- Cai S, Smith ME, Redenti SM, Wnek GE, Young MJ. Mouse retinal progenitor cell dynamics on electrospun poly(ε-caprolactone). J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 2012; 23(11): 1451-1465.
- Cai S, Hong TS, Goldberg SI, Fernandez-Del Castillo C, Thayer SP, Ferrone CR, Ryan DP, Blaszkowsky LS, Kwak EL, Willett CG, Lillemoe KD, Warshaw AL, Wo JY. Updated long-term outcomes and prognostic factors for patients with unresectable locally advanced pancreatic cancer treated with intraoperative radiotherapy at the Massachusetts General Hospital, 1978 to 2010. Cancer 2013; 119(23): 4196-204.
- Cai S, Boland M. EyeWorld journal club: the role of the posterior cornea in postoperative astigmatism. Eye World 2016.
- Li D, Taniguchi EV, Cai S, Paschalis EI, Wang H, Miller JB, Turalba AV, Greenstein SH, Brauner S, Pasquale LR, Shen LQ. Comparison of swept-source and enhanced depth imaging spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in quantitative characterisation of the optic nerve head. Br J Ophthalmol 2017;101(3):299-304.
- Cai S, Elze T, Bex PJ, Wiggs JL, Pasquale LR, Shen LQ. Clinical correlates of computationally derived visual field defect archetypes in patients from a glaucoma clinic. Curr Eye Res 2017; 42(4):568-574.
- Cai S, Bressler NM. Aflibercept, bevacizumab or ranibizumab for diabetic macular oedema: recent clinically relevant findings from DRCR.net Protocol T. Curr Opin Ophthalmol 2017; 28(6):636-643. Gupta R, Fung AT, Lupidi M, Pappuru RR, Nayak S, Sahoo NK, Kaliki S, Yannuzzi L, Reid K, Lim L, Sacconi R, Dave V, Singh SR, Ayachit A, Gabrielle PH, Cai S, Lima LH, Querques G, Arevalo JF, Freund KB, Shields CL, Chhablani J. Peripapillary versus macular combined hamartoma of the retina and retinal pigment epithelium: imaging characteristics. Am J Ophthalmol 2019. (Epub ahead of print.)
- Cai S, Bressler NM, Linz MO, Scott AW. Outcome after exchange transfusion for central retinal vein occlusion associated with extensive capillary and arteriolar nonperfusion in a patient with Hemoglobin SS disease. JAMA Ophthalmol 2019. (Epub ahead of print.)
- Cai S, Liu TYA, Arevalo JF. Evolution of ellipsoid zone abnormalities on optical coherence tomography associated with niacin maculopathy. JAMA Ophthalmol 2019. (Manuscript accepted for publication.)
Awards and Achievements:
- Heed Fellowship 2019
- Frank L. Coulson, Jr. Award for Clinical Excellence (Johns Hopkins Hospital) 2019
- Atlantic Coast Retina Club Trainee Case Fourth Place Prize 2019 Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Resident Retreat Invitee 2018
- W. Richard Green Housestaff Teaching Award (Johns Hopkins Hospital) 2018
- ARVO Foundation/Knights Templar Travel Grant Recipient 2016
- Sophia Freund Prize (highest GPA in graduating Harvard College class) 2011
- Phi Beta Kappa 2010
- Intel Science Talent Search Finalist (40 selected nationally) 2007
- U.S. Physics Team (24 selected nationally) 2006, 2007
- MIT Research Science Institute Top 5 Presenter (52 selected nationally) 2006