We are proud of Sharon Freedman, MD, professor of ophthalmology and division chief for pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus who delivered the keynote Costenbader Lecture to open the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS) Virtual Annual Meeting held April 9-11, 2021. We enjoyed an outstanding presentation by Dr. Freedman and many contributions of Duke Ophthalmology faculty and trainees during the 2021 AAPOS meeting.
Pediatric fellow Tanya Glaser, MD received the AAPOS Research Fellow Award for her project "The Relationship Between Reversal of Optic Nerve Head Cupping and Morphometric Changes as Measured by Intra-Operative Mounted Optical Coherence Tomography in Childhood Glaucoma."
Laura Enyedi, MD led a stimulating non-strabismus workshop, a highlight of the meeting!
- Laura B. Enyedi, MD - Introduction of Costenbader Lecturer, Difficult Problems Non-Strabismus (Workshop)
- Sharon F. Freedman, MD - Costenbader Lecture - Childhood Glaucoma – How I Came to Know So Much and Yet So Little!
S. Grace Prakalapakorn, MD - Trends in Retinopathy of Prematurity Screening, Incidence, Severity, and Treatment in the United States, the Vermont Oxford Network Experience from 2008-2018 (Poster)
- Cynthia A. Toth, MD - New Technologies in Pediatric Ophthalmology: A View from the Inside (Workshop)
Federico G. Velez, MD - Innovative Techniques Enhancing the Treatment of Complex Strabismus (Workshop), Pediatric Anterior Segment Problems You Don't Want to Miss (Workshop), Demographic Characteristics of Duane Syndrome Patients with Synergistic Divergence and Accessory Fibrotic (Poster)
- Tanya Glaser, MD (Pediatric Fellow) - The Relationship Between Reversal of Optic Nerve Head Cupping and Morphometric Changes as Measured by Intra-Operative Mounted Optical Coherence Tomography in Childhood Glaucoma
Gloria J. Hong, AB (Medical Student) - Infants Initially Treated with Bevacizumab for Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP): Follow-up for those Receiving Prophylactic Laser versus Continued Screening per Current United States ROP Screening Guidelines
Shwetha Mangalesh, MD (Postdoctoral fellow) - Preterm Infant Stress during Handheld Optical Coherence Tomography versus Binocular Indirect Ophthalmoscopy Examination for Retinopathy of Prematurity
- Pimpiroon Ploysangam, MD (Pediatric Fellow) - Appearance of the Optic Nerve in Children with Resolved Papilledema
- Kai R. Seely, BS (Medical Student) - Semi-Automated Vessel Analysis of En Face Vessel Maps of the Posterior Pole Generated from Bedside Optical Coherence Tomography (Poster)
Liangbo Linus Shen (Medical student) - Birth Parameters that Predict Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thickness at 36 Weeks Postmenstrual Age in Preterm Infants (Poster)
Allison C. Umfress, MD (Pediatric Fellow) - Rebound vs. Applanation Tonometry Comparison in Supine Patients under Anesthesia (Poster)