Duke retina specialist and Women in Ophthalmology (WIO) Board member Lejla Vajzovic, MD recently moderated a WIO Clinical Trials Training Webinar titled "Know the Paperwork Involved" on Tuesday, May 25, 2021.
This webinar was a one-of-a-kind comprehensive program taking the ophthalmologist step by step through the process of successfully adding clinicals trials to their practice. Several of the featured speakers are within Duke University School of Medicine.
Learning objectives of the program include:
- How to build and negotiate research contracts
- Prepare yourself for budget negotiations and hidden costs
- Formulate a source document
- Understand publication rights
Pearls from the experts:
- Know your Institution/Private Practice policies (or at least be connected to the right people)
- Jump in – once you successfully negotiate a CTA, the language/terms can be used for future study agreements (at least, until your internal policies change!)
- EVERYTHING costs $$
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions
- If it is not documented, it didn’t happen.