An important goal for Duke Sports Vision Center is to study outcomes of vision rehabilitation or vision training interventions to see whether they can be validated by the standards of evidence-based medicine. While research is ongoing, below is a list of studies that have been published to date. Check back often to see the latest research.
- Burris, K., Vittetoe, K., Ramger, B., Suresh, S., Tokdar, S.T., Reiter, J.P. & Appelbaum, L.G. (2018) Sensorimotor abilities predict on-field performance in professional baseball. Nature Scientific Reports
- Klemish, D., Ramger, B., Vittetoe, K., Reiter, J.P., Tokdar, S. & Appelbaum, L.G (2018). Visual Abilities Distinguish Pitchers from Hitters in Professional Baseball. Journal of Sports Sciences. 36(2) DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2017.1288296.
- Legault GL, Hansen M and Kim T. Retrospective Review of the Duke University Men’s Basketball Team Eye Screening. J Ophthalmol & Vis Sci. 2017; 2(2): 1020.
- Appelbaum, L.G. & Erickson, G. (2016). Sports Vision Training: a review of the state-of-the-art in digital training techniques. International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1750984X.2016.1266376]
- Appelbaum, L.G., Lu, Y., Khanna, R., & Detwiler, K.R. (2016). The effects of sports vision training on sensorimotor abilities in collegiate softball athletes. Athletic Training and Sports Health Care. 8(4), 154-163. [DOI: 10.3928/19425864-20160314-01]
- Krasich, K., Ramger, B., Holton, L., Wang, L., Mitroff, S.R., & Appelbaum, L.G. (2016). Perceptual and visual-motor learning in a computerized training battery. Journal of Motor Behavior. 48(5), 401-412.
- Grooms, D., Appelbaum, L.G., & Onate, J. (2015) The Implication of Visual-Motor Processing in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury and Rehabilitation. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 45(5): 381-393. [PMID: 25579692]
- Appelbaum, L.G., Cain, M.S., Schroeder, J.E., Darling, E.F., & Mitroff, S.R. (2012). Stroboscopic visual training improves information encoding in short-term memory. Attention, Perception, and Psychophysics. 74(8), 1681-1691. [PMID: 22810559]
- Appelbaum, L.G., Schroder, B, J., Cain, M.S., & Mitroff, S.R., (2011). Improved visual cognition through stroboscopic training. Frontiers in Perception Science. 2(276), 1-13. [PMID: 22059078]